Salutations! My name is Sean Alexander Kaiulani Chun. In this blog I will be sharing a little bit about my progress in my GameDevHQ Internship. First, I will share about the ”Phase 1: Framework” Section in the GameDevHQ 2D Development Course. Second, I will share about the ”Thrusters” Challenge in the “Phase 1:Framework” Section. Lastly, I will share about the “Shield Strength” Challenge in the “Phase 1: Framework” Section.

I have just shared a little bit about what I will be talking about in this blog. Now, I will talk about the ”Phase 1: Framework” Section in the GameDevHQ 2D Development Course.

First, the “Phase 1: Framework” Section is very challenging for me. Prior to this program, I have no experience in the software engineering field. I like how in the “Phase 1: Framework” I will be recalling the teachings in the 2D Development Course. Although my pace is slower than I would like it to be, I believe that learning through application is a good way to acquire new skills. “Sink or Swim”.

I have just shared a little bit about the ”Phase 1: Framework” Section in the GameDevHQ 2D Development Course. Now, I will about the ”Thrusters” Challenge in the “Phase 1:Framework” Section.

Secondly, for the ”Thrusters” Challenge I did my best to do it on my own. I wanted to test myself and and got 90% of the “Thrusters” Challenge complete until I got stuck. I kept researching other ways to do it, but I was certain that the way I did it was correct. Eventually I reached out to my Team Leader, who suggested that I try changing my code from “Input.GetKeyDown” to “Input.Getkey”. I laughed at myself because it seemed that the ”Input.Getkey” code was the one thing had not adjusted to get the desired results.

I have shared a little bit about the ”Thrusters” Challenge in the “Phase 1:Framework” Section. Now, I will share about the “Shield Strength” Challenge in the “Phase 1: Framework: Section.

Lastly, I am currently working on the “Shield Strength” Challenge. The goal is to implement a 3 hit life to the Player’s shield. A color change with each hit must also be implemented to indicate the shield’s damage. I am attempting to achieve this by replacing the shield’s “Coroutine” with a “Lives” variable. The tricky part is the color change because we did not implement color change in this way throughout the previous sections of the 2D Development Course.

I have just shared a little bit about the “Shield Strength” Challenge in the “Phase 1: Framework: Section. In conclusion, I have a lot of work ahead of me in order to complete the 2D Development Course. I look forward to sharing more of my progress.

Thank you.

GameDevHQ Internship Blog